Player Positional Tracker: Burnley vs Chelsea
Burnley 1 vs 3 Chelsea (18th August 2014)
As always, with these of these visualisations I expect that each viewer will note something different.
A few things I noticed:
- Chelsea were on the front foot right from the off. Around the 20th minute mark only their two centre halves remained in their own half.
- In the first half, during Chelsea's dominance, Burnley's right sided players, Mee and Taylor, were both quite advanced, certainly more so than Trippier and Arfield on the opposite wing.
- For the first half hour Fabregas played in a more attacking role than Oscar, after this period (ie when the game was won) those two players reverted to more like their published starting positions.
- From the 37th minute Chelsea visibly dropped deeper; they shut up shop before half time immediately after they scored their 3rd goal. Oscar and Fabregas moved back and tucked inside to screen the defensive line.
- In he second half when Chelsea attacked, Azpilicueta stayed at home. Though this might have been a function of the fact that Burnley seemed to target their right wing as Trippier, Arfield, Ings and Marney all appeared on this wing.
- The final 25 minutes seen a return to Chelsea dropping back deeper and Burnley having some sustained playing team in their attacking third.
- Burnley's Jutkiewicz was named as a striker but he played deeper than Danny Ings for most of the game.
Let me know what you pick out from the positional movement viz below: