StatsBomb was founded in January 2017 to provide data, analytics and consultancy to football clubs, media and gambling companies. StatsBomb continually undertake new research and are well known in the analytics industry for providing unique insights into the game of football. We have developed our own proprietary industry leading data collection and analytics software with a user-friendly high-vis front end.
StatsBomb have grown from our initial team of 3 at the start of 2017 to over 200 employees based in the UK, US and Egypt and are continuing to grow and expand our operation. We currently process over 300 games per week across 26 European and American leagues, with over 20 million events every day and cover more than 80 leagues globally.
We have custom built all systems for data collection and our AI driven analytics/insight platform and are currently enhancing and scaling our entire infrastructure to cater for live data collection and analytical modelling, potentially across multiple sports.
StatsBomb’s data enrichment team are responsible for the curation and delivery of our data products, largely in the form of API’s, to internal and external customers. Our team of experienced software engineers is looking for an experienced Product Owner. The Product Owner will manage priorities, guide the assessment of technology choices and solutions, and help us to deliver data products that are easy to work with, with useful and detailed documentation and that genuinely delight our customers.
The Product Owner (PO) role is a critical role in every product team at StatsBomb. The PO is responsible for turning the product vision and business plans into epic mapping, story writing and sprint planning in combination with Senior engineers, UI designers and the Product Manager.
This role requires experience of standard Agile development practices and of coordinating and balancing business needs with technical complexity and various technical solutions, ensuring that all stakeholders contribute ideas and solutions. The ideal candidate will have experience of working with API’s using our tech stack as well as excellent communication and diplomacy skills to work through technical decisions with our team as well as with adjacent product teams and customers.
As a Product Owner in the data enrichment team at StatsBomb, you will be responsible for:
- Ensuring new product features and enhancements are fully scoped, planned and prioritised
- Bringing the relevant parties together to assess technology choices and identify any critical paths
- Planning product development in combination with product owners and project managers from adjacent product teams
- Leading customer research on your product, conducting customer interviews in conjunction with our Customer Success team and reporting insight findings to the rest of your product team
- Ensuring product teams are consistent in their approach of managing product development
- Ensuring all stakeholders have the opportunity to influence software choices and development critical path
- Epic mapping and story writing that is complete and comprehensive, using Jira as the central tool for managing projects in scrum and kanban style
- Ensuring software engineers on the data enrichment team have visibility on the wider strategy and key issues as well as their specific tasks
- Sprint planning and story point estimating that is accurate and useful
- Ensuring that sprint velocity can be measured without huge overhead on developers in terms of tracking their time
- Organising user testing and feedback to measure success of new features and developments, using standard methodology adopted across StatsBomb product teams
- Driving the delivery of new features and enhancements from the data enrichment team to the rest of the business
The ideal candidate will have experience of:
- Owning API products, utilising approaches like REST or technologies like GraphQL
- Managing applications built on large, complex datasets
- Dealing with the demands of real-time, low-latency event-driven systems
- Understanding of back end development processes and important factors in assessing technology solutions
- Setting up Agile methodology and processes in the context of data products such as sprint planning, story writing, sprint velocity reporting, running stand ups
- Working with experienced software engineers to identify optimum solutions
- Working with a range of stakeholders in gathering needs and requirements, identifying potential blockers or dependencies and reporting updates and progress to other teams
Salary range: £40-50k depending on experience
Full time role
Location: remote with expectation to visit the Bath office 1 or 2 days a week
Please email your CV, cover letter or other supporting material, salary expectations and notice period to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject header 'Product Owner'.
Working at StatsBomb
If you think you have the passion, drive and talent to join our exciting and fast paced team, we’d love to hear from you! With excellent career development opportunities and a collaborative and diverse team environment, StatsBomb is an inspiring place to work - as described below by some of our colleagues….
“It is a class place to be and the people are phenomenal. I feel so lucky to spend everyday working with amazing technology, on fascinating projects, as part of the most entertaining industry in the world. StatsBomb is one of those places where the company’s focus is so exciting that you want to be a part of it...some projects are totally confidential and game changing in the industry which is thrilling to be part of. Everyday I work in collaboration with industry leaders and learn from experts pushing the boundaries of computer vision, data science and sporting analysis. I have worked in all environments from global investment banking to growing startups and the culture here is like nothing I've seen. We recruit from different cultures all around the world who feel like distant cousins - events like our conference are like a wedding party that brings everyone together!” - Chris, Senior Tech Engineer
“StatsBomb is such a fun and exciting company to work for. Working with, and learning from, diverse and intelligent colleagues in such a supportive and friendly atmosphere is amazing.” - Corinne, Project Manager
We are unfortunately unable to respond to unsuccessful applicants.
Back to Careers