FC Augsburg 2 vs 3 Borussia Dortmund
BVB got back to winning ways after their GW 1 defeat at home to Bayer Leverkusen.
In this PPT I have divided the game into the two halves; this should leave for easier analysis as each half will run on loop. As usual, click on the gifs to open them in a larger window.
- During the opening quarter, BVB largely attacked down the right side through Piszczek and Mikhitaryan. In fact for large parts of the game, Dortmund used the right side to attack.
- During the opening quarter Augsburg had very little possession in their attacking half. Their possession was centred around their two centre backs who had a lot of the ball
- As a result of the fact that the ball spent so much time in Augsburg’s half, the Dortmund defence kept a very high line
- Kehl as a DM for Dortmund played very deep, almost like another centre back. This allowed Dortmund to play a lop side shape with Durm remaining defensive on the left side and Piszczek attacking down the right.
- Augsburg got into the game a little more in the second half; with Baier involved in the opening 15 minutes of the second half
- BVB’s centre back, Subotic and Sokratis, were much deeper in the second half than Kehl (and Bender after his introduction) – this wasn’t the case in the first half